Friday, August 20, 2010

Rubbin' me the WRONG way

So the past two days haven't exactly been what one could call "pleasant."  I had a doctor's appointment to try to pinpoint this weird itching I have on my hands and feet, and as they tried to draw blood they had to stick me three times.  And bruise the CRAP out of my elbow.  It still hurts, nearly 36 hours later.  OW.  Also, The Munchkin has been running a fever for the past two days off and on so I took her to the doctor this morning to find out she has a viral upper respiratory infection, and the only thing we can do is wait it out.  Which is TONS of fun when waiting it out means you have a screaming one-year-old pretty much all day long.

Anyway, I did get out and walk this morning before Munchkin's appointment, which I documented in my previous post.  I did a lot better than I thought I did at the time, and again was able to push through the tightness in my ankles.

However, during today's walk (and Wednesday's), I felt a rubbing on the outside of my right heel that began to really bother me.  When I got home from my walk, I ran upstairs to change for the trip to the pediatrician, and when I pulled my socks off I *painfully* discovered that my shoes are rubbing a blister on the outside of that heel.  Does this mean I have to buy new shoes?  Wear different socks?  I'm not sure how to remedy this.  For now, I have it under two band-aids and am wearing socks that don't cut so low on my ankle that it is exposed to the shoe.  The thing that concerns me is that the only way to fix this could possibly be to buy new shoes.

I will say, for the record, that I ABHOR shopping for running shoes.  To be fair, I've only been once, but you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and that one trip pretty much did it for me.  The salesperson was rude and basically treated me as if I shouldn't be there because I was overweight.  Which, in my opinion, is the exact OPPOSITE way you should treat someone who's trying to better themselves.  But apparently that's why I don't get to work in a shoe store with those oh-so-snappy uniforms.

So, as if you couldn't guess, I'd really like to avoid having to buy shoes if at all possible.  If anyone has any insight, I'd love to know what you've done in the past for something like this.

6 comments:

  1. You could try getting those gel heel inserts - the ones that adhere to the inner sides of the heel. If your heels are too narrow for the shoe, that could be aggravating the blistering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moleskin. I have some that I could bring tomorrow when we walk. Also, if you have any socks that aren't cotton, wear them. If I wear cotton socks to walk or run, I get blisters because they retain moisture. Last, how old are your running shoes? If you've been wearing them pretty regularly and they are over a year old, you will probably need a new pair. The BX has a pretty good selection and hopefully the people are nicer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you used these shoes in Columbus when you did your Stroller Strides, then something you are doing now is different and may be the source of your problem. I will try to call you shortly and see how you and Sweet Pea are doing! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Find a store that specializes in fitting shoes, not like your typical Foot Locker where sales people aren't trained like they should be. Surely there's some place like that where you are…?? It really makes a difference when you wear shoes that are fitted for you feet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Balance - www.shopnewbalance.com - they have extended widths and sizes (10 1/2 is perfect for my land yachts!) and I've never been disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New balance is the best! The higher the number, the higher the support. And wear soft, breathable socks.

    ReplyDelete