Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Feel the burn ... or maybe not

I was a little concerned about today, to be honest.  My "walking buddy" took her daughter to gymnastics, so I was left to work out all on my own.  Usually, if left to my own devices a workout morphs into a shopping trip to the BX and a milkshake from Baskin-Robbins.  Not exactly melting those pounds away.  But today I was determined to keep working on my stamina.  Because, of course, I'm already disappointed that I can't walk faster than a 20 min/mile.  (Let's leave that thought for another post.)  So I got The Munchkin into the car and headed to base to the track.

Fate decided to tempt me, of course.  First, I went to the track only to find the gate closed and seemingly locked.  Confused, I turned around and decided to check my mail at the post office, which is right beside the track on base.  I met up with one of the fabulous ladies from yesterday's antiquing trip, and she told me that some of the moms were at the BX hanging out until their 11:00 circuit class started at the gym.  Oh, Baskin-Robbins, I hear you calling my name ... Mint Chip milkshake, anyone??

However, in talking to her, I mentioned that I was going to walk the track but that the gate was locked.  She proceeded to show me an alternate way into the track -- one that didn't have a gate on it.  SWEET.  So I started walking my laps, listening to my iPod and The Munchkin's babbling in front of me, hoping those two distractions would be enough to make me forget that I was actually exercising.

About halfway into the first lap, the outside of both of my ankles started burning.  BADLY.  I actually felt hobbled; every time I stepped, and tried to bend my ankles in any way, they hurt.  This has happened to me every time I try to start getting back in shape -- this exact feeling in my ankles.  I didn't think I'd make it through that lap, to be honest.  But I told myself to just push through until I got three laps done, which would equal one mile.  It wasn't nearly the distance I had walked on Monday, but at least I was logging in some time.

I pushed my way through the first two laps, and then about halfway through the third lap I noticed something odd.  My ankles weren't burning quite so much anymore.  They were still uncomfortable, but all of a sudden it was somewhat bearable.  And then, at almost the instant I passed the one mile marker, the pain just ... stopped.  I was literally shocked.  I've never pushed myself past that ankle pain before; I've always wimped out and stopped, afraid I'd do something to my ankles if I continued.  Now, as I sit here typing this entry, they still don't hurt at all, and it's been nine and a half hours since my walk stopped.  Truthfully, the only reason I stopped at three miles was that I was meeting a friend for lunch and I was going to be late if I kept walking.  But I could have walked another three, I think.  No exaggeration.

So tomorrow is, unfortunately, another off day for me ... doctor's appointment in the AM followed by lunch with a friend.  I do, however, have some workout shows recorded on my DVR.  Maybe I'll try one of those in the afternoon while The Munchkin naps.  So if you're in the Isleham area, and see a thirty-something fat girl bouncing around her living room to a Hip-Hop Abs Workout ... please, keep your laughter as quiet as possible.  You might mess up my groove.

(Postscript: Come to find out, the gate wasn't locked, but merely pulled shut.  I could have opened it at any time and walked right through.  Funny what your mind can make you see when it wants to believe something is real.)

6 comments:

  1. Yay!! You're doing it! You go, girl!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an Abs of Steel video... I watched it the other day... while sitting in the recliner. :o) I plan on starting it... Soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Heather!! I'm proud of you for pushing through and finding that "comfort zone"!...That used to happen to me, "I recall", only with my hips. I can see you already have the mind set as you had a backup plan ready with the hip hop workout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you Heather and you're blogs are an entertaining read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather you are doing so well and I love your blog too. I've been trying to lose also and I have some. This is Brittany from Philiosphy class by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My trainer told me that the pain in the ankles - I used to get it too - is actually the product of weak core muscles, especially your glutes. The pain just relocates to your feet. Weird, right? It'll get better as you continue to walk. :)

    ReplyDelete