Saturday, August 14, 2010

Getting Started ... AKA The Great Motivator

Ladies and gentlemen ... start your engines!!

The purpose of this blog is to be brutally honest in my quest to lose weight.  I have decided that, while being grossly overweight has been oh-so-thrilling these past couple of years, it is now time to shed these extra five (or, actually, extra one hundred) pounds.  Why, you may ask?  It's simple.

I wanna baby.  (Cue Raising Arizona.)

My husband and I are blessed with a beautiful, healthy little girl, who just turned one.  I ever thought that I would want to have a baby; I have always been the "babies are great when you can give them back to their parents" kind of person.  When my husband and I found out we were pregnant, I still wasn't sure if I was ready for kids.  I mean, this was a HUGE change in our lives!  Diapers!  Spit-up!  Smelling another human's butt on a regular basis!  (Moms, you know what I mean.)  But of course, that fateful moment came when I saw my baby for the first time, and even though it wasn't all fireworks and love-at-first-sight, I did realize that this was a very, VERY good thing.  And this past year has been HARD but amazing.

So, lately I've been feelin' that itch.  You know, the one that begins when you see a brand new baby out somewhere and ends with you babbling incoherently at the other mother (who is giving you a look usually saved for sidewalk mimes and tax collectors) about how sweet her baby is.  I find myself picking up clothes in stores that are sized Newborn.  I actually sit and pick out names, for crying out loud.

Yeah, people ... I've got it bad.

However, when I mentioned this to my husband, he wasn't as gung-ho as I thought he'd be.  He said, "Well, I'm ready, but I'm not sure that you are."  When I explained to him that, um, that's what this conversation was supposed to be about, he continued, "Well, I think we should wait until you get in shape.  You're in worse shape now than when you got pregnant before, and I don't think your body can handle a pregnancy right now.  I don't know what would happen."

Well, I never! ... Wait.  Okay, the man has a point.

When I got pregnant almost two years ago, I weighed 200 pounds.  On a 5' 5" frame, that's bad enough.  But add to that the 60 pounds I gained while pregnant (of which I only lost 20), and you can see why my husband would be so concerned.  I am in constant pain, whether it be my back, knees, ankles.  My boobs are each bigger than my daughter's head, and that is no exaggeration, folks.  I have never been this big in my entire life, but nothing has EVER motivated me to lose weight before.  I don't know why, but even the thought of dying due to my obesity hasn't even nudged me off the couch.  But the thought of having another little angel to hold, to nurture, to love and enjoy ... that's the catalyst that I needed to get off my lazy butt and do something about this problem.

So, since it's late here my little corner of the world, I will begin tomorrow.  Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, I may not be ... but I will be excited about it.  Because hey, this is the beginning of a new me: hopefully, the mother of two.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck, Heather! It's really freakin' hard to lose weight, I know, but I will be keeping you in my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Heather! Set your goal and work it! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here for you, girl! Let me know what I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome. You're so lucky to have a husband who cares so much about you.

    My husband and I used a free calorie counting tool to lose a combined 75+lbs of weight in 5 months. The first week was the hardest but after 3 weeks our bodies and minds had adjusted to the right amount of calories. We just added as we ate. We also added the workouts we did. I'd add stairs and such I took at work. It keeps daily track of your calories in and your calories out.

    Check it out:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/

    Also message me. I'll be glad to be your support from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Heather! Been there, done that. Back again! :-P I am currently trying to lose the 20 lbs I put back on last year. I am down 10 so far! Another great free tool is fatsecret.com I actually use the calorie counter app on my droid but it syncs with the fatsecret site. It's awesome! I am also doing WW. It helped me lose 50+ lbs years ago and keep them off until last year. It taught me to be conscious of what I eat, limit junk, and enjoy being healthy! Can't wait to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww......even though you are now one of Those People, I wish you well in your quest for an additional butt to smell. Good luck, and if you need someone to scream and yell at you you know I'm your person. ;) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was the exact opposite - I flat out told Emil that losing weight was f'ing HARD and I wasn't gonna do it just to gain it again with another pregnancy, I would do it when we were DONE. That attitude, as it turned out, was not quite the right way to go, hence bedrest twice, preclampia, and complicated birth - wish I'd tried a bit harder, but I trying now! I would love to share this journey with you! Love you Hebs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're an inspiration, girlie. I'm rooting you on! You can totally do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmph. Well, I really did post on here the other day, but it apparently didn't go through. :P Anyway, I'm with ya, behind you, and following you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw! I just started reading your blog and from post #1 on, I am in love! I feel your pain (with the post-baby weight that WILL NOT go away), and you are now my inspiration to get my butt up and moving!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete