Monday, October 18, 2010

Switching apps?

Okay, so I had posted my workout through my iPhone app on Friday, and got a comment or two that the calories burned seemed low to them (my walking partner had mentioned this before, as well).  So I decided to do a little investigating on my own, and here's what I found:
  • My current iPhone app says that 35 minutes of walking at a 3.5mph pace burned 176 calories.
  • I checked an online calculator, and it says that the same time, same pace would burn 296 calories.
WOW - that's a pretty big difference.  I'm beginning to wonder if I need to switch apps in order to get a good idea of the calories I'm burning.

So here's my question: what iPhone apps out there do you think are good for this?  My walking partner suggested RunKeeper Pro, and so far I like what I see, but I thought I'd see if anyone out there has any other suggestions before I drop $10 on it.  (Before you suggest I go for the free version, I would like the option of setting intervals, so that when I get further along, I can start incorporating some jogging into my workouts, along the lines of the Couch-to-5K program.)

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!!

2 comments:

  1. Check out MapMyRun.com. I think they have an app for the iPhone that might be good too! I'm not sure if it helps with calorie counting though the way your other one does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you??? How is it going these cold winter days?

    ReplyDelete